Tahiti - Interesting facts about these Islands in the Sun
April 27, 2012 · Print This Article
1. There are 13 letters in the Tahitian alphabet;
2. Tahitian and French are the language of the islands however, English is widely spoken on most of the islands;
3. Most Polynesians believe the mythical island of Hawaiki, today known as Raiatea, rose from the bottom of the ocean and was the beginning of all life on Earth.
4. There are 118 islands and atolls spread out over five archipelagos.
5. The Islands of Tahiti is the only country in the world to have a winery, Vin du Tahiti, on a coral atoll.
6. On the island of Fakarava there is a church called Jean de la Croix made completely of coral.
7. The tattoo originated in French Polynesia;
8. The overwater bungalow (or fare) was invented in Tahiti 45 years ago;
9. What is commonly known as “Tahiti” or “The Islands of Tahiti” is officially categorized as an Overseas Country of France, with its own government overseeing all international decisions on behalf of French Polynesia;
10.The rare tiare apetahi flower can only be found in one place in the entire world, on a mountain peak on the sacred island of Raiatea;
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!